Limestone Church, Part 7
Hugh Conway, IC-Wexford
Blessing of the Bell
A square wooden belfry topped with a large wooden cross was placed on the top front end of the Church’s roof. The belfry contained four windows facing each cardinal direction shaped like miniatures of the main stained-glass windows. Instead of glass, the windows held vented air ducts that allowed air and light into the church. This article from a local paper is about the blessing of the bell at the Immaculate Conception church in Wexford in Iowa.
“A large crowd witnessed the interesting ceremony at Wexford yesterday. Probably the largest crowd in the history of Wexford, the mother of Catholicity in this county and in fact in northeastern Iowa, was present at the blessing of the bell there yesterday. The first Catholic church between Dubuque and St. Paul on the west side of the Mississippi River was established at Wexford by Father Hore in 1851. The old church was built there twice, removed and enlarged and finally gave way about twenty years ago to the commodious stone structure, gracing one of the loveliest and most picturesque church sites in the state. Father Walsh succeeded Father Hore,
after a few years and established a monastery on the farm now owned by Patrick Crowe, afterwards moving to Dubuque. Father Hannon came next and then I turn the following priests: Fathers McGowan, Brazell, McManus, Hennessey, Kiernan, Nelson, Kernan, Cooney, Boylson, and the present popular and progressive pastor, Rev. M. Hetherington. The last-named priest has been the shepherd of the flock about two years and during his pastorate has made a great number of improvements about the church. The latest being the addition of a belfry and purchase of a fine 1,000 lb. bell. It was consecration or blessing of this that drew the crowd to Wexford yesterday. And many of the neighboring parishes wended their way thither over hills and through the winding valleys that had not seen the hallowed spot in years, ten, fifteen and even twenty years.
The exercise began with a solemn High Mass at 10:30 A.M., Father Hetherington of Wexford celebrant, Deacon Father Sheehan of Paint Rock, Father Murphy of Winona sub-deacon, and Father Horsfield of Cherry Mound Master of Ceremonies. It was arranged that Rev Dr. Carrol of New Hampton should preach the sermon, but he did not arrive and Father Haxmeier of Lansing very acceptable filled his place, as also that of Father Norton of Lycurgus, who was delegated to do the blessing by Archbishop Hennessey. The ceremony took place after Mass and lasted about half to three-quarters of an hour. It consisted of washing the bell inside and outside with holy water, incensing it, anointing it with oils and chrism, and giving it a name, interspersed with numerous psalms and prayers. It was christened Michael, with Messrs. John Borer, John Downs, John Murphy, Michael Mooney, Pat Ryan, Hugh Conway, Pat Kernan, M. Kernan, Jas Powers, M. Gleason, M. Guider, and Mr. Gleason sponsors. These gentlemen are responsible for its future well-being and will doubtless take pride in seeing that its present needs, a total cost of about $175.00, are provided for. A large collection was taken up but this will be needed for the belfry and the new tin roof now being put on the church.
The following divines were in attendance, several arriving late for the ceremonies, however: Father Sheehan , Paint Rock; Father Murphy, Winona, Minnesota; Father Horsfield, Cherry Mound; Father Haxmeier, Lansing; Father Cooney, Plymouth Rock; Father Walsh, Waukon; Father Norton, Lycurgus; Father Hogan, Monona; Father Ryan, West Ridge; and Father McCullough, Dorchester. (Allamakee Journal, 1894)”
The $175.00 cost of the bell in 1894 would be equivalent in purchasing power to ~$6,820.00 in 2026. Father Hetherington was a native of Ireland and served as pastor and the eleventh priest at Wexford from 1891 to 1898. It was during his pastorate that the newly blessed bell (Michael) was placed into the belfry. Michael rang loud and clear echoing across the valley at Wexford,
calling the faithful to Mass.
When the immigrants arrived at Wexford in 1851, there were only fifty to one hundred people. By 1853, the population reached 153 people. By 1854, the number increased to 371 people. The Wexford Parish experienced steady and continuous growth until 1870. The census in 1910 indicated 747 parishioners at Wexford. For old-timers, early life at Wexford was ideal. On a clear summer morning before Mass, the sound of horses’ hooves and rattles of buggies can be heard coming down the four valleys leading to Wexford. Almost everyone had their own hitching post. It was a short walk across the wooden bridge through the cemetery to the main church door. There never was a community like Wexford; nor a people with such a measure of kindness, charity, and neighborliness of those who lived at Wexford."